WTB real, honest to goodness maple syrup

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by key west chick, Oct 24, 2010.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Ive tried several grocery store brands but they still seem to be lacking something. Am I just expecting to much from these store brands? Anybody tap and make their own?

2. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My grandfather makes and sells his own PURE maple syrup. He owns a bunch of land and taps his own trees. I LOVE his syrup. If you are interested I can get you prices and ship it to you.

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I will watch this thread....I would be interested also.

4. HarmonyOaks

HarmonyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Calaveras County
    Me too! Me too! or maybe I'm third! LOL. Please post information so we can purchase or send me a PM on how to order, Thanks!

LOL reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," and I am all about aquiring local produce... but somehow I do not think my pine trees are up to the task [​IMG]

5. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I called my grandmother and she said she thinks he has a few bottles of syrup left but he mainly makes it in spring. He is out of town fishing right now but should be back tomorrow so she is going to ask if him or any of his friends have any left to sell. I will let everyone know as soon as I find out. I know it is my favorite syrup and tastes great on anything! My favorite is homemade syrup on vanilla ice cream. YUMM!

PS

I just checked my fridge and I had a bottle left. I checked how much the price was and I think he charges $6 for 1 pint (16 ounces) and it comes in a plastic bottle so it can be shipped. He doesn't do this very large scale so it is a bit more expensive and he doesn't have much available very often but I will talk to him tomorrow and find out the exact prices and information.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yes, please check on his availability. I believe I spent about $9 on an 8 ounce bottle at the grocery store. I wouldnt mind double the price for some good stuff.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Up here in the adirondacks its a huge product!! My MIL sells them in her store-Im sure I could come up with a few bottles if the others cant help you-I can get them in gallon jugs too:) those are a tad expensive but oooh so worth it through the winter with some pancakers!!!

8. GothChick

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hello again,

So my grandmother called me today and told me that my grandfather and his friends are sold out. I guess they had a bad harvest this year and he just moved his "operation" to a larger building. He should have some available in spring so as soon as he has some I will post it in the auction section with a price and everything. Otherwise I will keep my eye out for some. I know around our area its very common to find real syrup for sale at the farmers markets. So I will see what I can find.

9. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Thanks gothchick, maybe I'll just have to wait till spring.

10. chickenguru

chickenguru Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Kentwood La.
    Quote:Now that would be some sticky syrup. I guess about the only locally made syrup
    here is cane syrup. A little too strong for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by