1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WTB: Silkie Chicks

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by KDailey, Jun 28, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I'm new to chickens, have 6 3-day old chicks. 3 are Cuckoo Marans, 2 are ?, and 1 is a little black silkie. The silkie is my favorite and after looking at all the wonderful pictures of silkies on here and reading about them, I've completely fallen in love with the breed.

Unfortunately I don't think my little Silkie is going to survive. He's been acting very lethargic and doesn't seem to have much will to survive. Me being new I'm not totally sure what to do to help him other than I try dipping his beak in his food and water to encourage him to eat and drink.

I can't do eggs because I don't have an incubator as of yet. I'd like to be a little more knowledgable before I attempt hatching in an incubator. I also don't want to rush in with semi expensive equipment if I later decide I would rather just have laying hens and not hatch live chicks. In other words, I don't want to get in over my head.

So I would like to buy some Silkie chicks. BUT... I really don't need more than 3 right now. I've already got 6 chicks. I've found several websites selling silkies but they usually want you to buy at least 6 @ around $10-15 a piece plus shipping of like $50 and I really don't have the room for quite that many yet until the coop and run is built

Is there anyone selling Silkie chicks that can do less than 6? I'm in east texas, the lufkin area. a few hours from houston. I'm ok with shipping. If you're within an hour or two from me I can do pick up too. I'm actually in Bronson, Tx 75930.

I'm not picky on colors although I do like the black, white, and splash. If possible I'd like 2 girls and 1 boy but I know it's pretty hard to determine when this young.

I can pay through paypal. If pickup I can do checks or cash.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Try emergency and diseases section. Could the little silkie have pasty butt? Check there. Is the wire too big for him in the brooder causing him/her to slip through.... I'm just now getting silkie eggs but don't ship chicks. How warm is the brooder? May be he's chilled. Babies will sleep alot.

Hope s/he improves!

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I looked at his bum this mornin but it looked fine to me. Their brooder is a cardboard box with a heat lamp etc and a blanket on the bottom so he's not falling through. One side has the lamp and the other doesn't so he can go to either side. He was laying under the lamp side but looked like he was too hot, wings out panting, so I moved him but he went right back after a few minutes.

The BF just text me about 15 minutes ago and said the little fella has died. [​IMG] So my little silkie is gone

4. Ukmumbrood3

Ukmumbrood3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    White plains, Md
    I have LOTS of silkie chicks of all colors but they are not sexed and are between 2 and 4 weeks old, Message me if your interested!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by