WTB: Turkey Eggs in Spring!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by cherndon712, Dec 29, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I'm really looking for narragansett, royal palm, and meat turkeys! I live in WY, so prefer close. Please let me know prices and availability!

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have only royal palms.. I have one two year old who lays like crazy..

I do not know how the new young hens will do this spring..

post again when spring is here ..

I am in wisc..

I got well over 100 eggs from my hen this year.. in fact she is still laying at minus -10 F

3. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    [​IMG] My palm hen always did, too! Do you have pics, my son wants to see them. He misses ours!

4. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:no photos, sorry. they all look alike anyhow..

we had a hen who would only lay soft shelled eggs so we had her over for lunch as the main guest..
    she was delicious. [​IMG]

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Define meat turkeys? Heritage or broadbrested meat types? We have Beltsville Small White which was the "original" meat turkey of the 30's and 40's before the broadbreasted came into the picture

We have pics and prices on our website.

Steve in NC

6. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    to me any turkey laying on the table with two drumsticks pointing up is a meat turkey..[​IMG]

7. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Quote:LOL Yeah! The bigger the better, though! I prefer heritage turkeys. That way I can hatch more! Although I had BBB turkeys that would procreate by themselves...It was supposed to be impossible, but they did!

8. bramblebrae

bramblebrae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Any interest in Rio Grande wilds' eggs? I will have 100% Rio Grandes, 75% Rio - 25% narrow breast Bronzes, and 50% Rio-50% Broad Breasted Bronze eggs. I am in Washington state. I haven't eaten any of my wilds, but planning to hatch out some of my 50-50's for meat birds this year. The wilds have totally different personalities/behavior/laying period than domesticateds, so something to consider.

9. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I would have to look into state laws on those. Not sure if I'd need a permit. Although if they're 50/50 I don't think I would! I'll check, and be in touch!

10. bramblebrae

bramblebrae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Wyoming Game and Fish statutes state that it is illegal to import Wilds. Some states are more rabid about enforcement than others, but it is probably not worth the risk to you. There are several reasons for it, concern that home-breds will introduce disease to wild stock, and that they will introduce possibly mixed bloodlines (like some of mine). Really a valid concern, because I can assure you that there is a biological imperative at work when a wild hen begins laying her clutch. Your perfectly tame, domesticated-seeming wild hen who returned to the coop every night for the past 9 months and comes when called will suddenly run (or worse yet, fly) off into the woods to hide her nest from you, and will act as if you are her worst predator if you approach her. They can go into a panic mode where they will run hysterically and will not stop. I really love the wilds, but they can be a lot of work. It has taken me years to get the hang of them and begin to understand their quirks. I hope you can find the eggs you are looking for. I know there are a couple of commercial sellers on-line for the breeds you want (pricey), but it is always nicest to buy from a real person! - Andy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by