wtb very small bantam hen - silkie, cochin or crossbred hen

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by smoothmule, Sep 2, 2009.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I'd like to have 1 or 2 extra small hens that might be broody type. I like the little cochins or silkies but I'm open to what you have. An older, proven broody type hen is preferred but let me know what you have. I'm in SW Misssouri and would prefer to be able to pick her up rather than ship.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a trio of buff cochin bantams (1 male 2 females) that I *might* sell as a group since the girls haven't been laying much. I bought them as chicks this spring and really have too many chickens. My husband is threatening to eat the male who crows quite a bit in the mornings. (I won't let him because he's a really docile rooster that lets you pet him). The hens are also very sweet and pettable. I do not know if they are the broody type or not. At one time I was going to sell them because they kept jumping the chain link, but they're getting too fat for that now that they are laying age. LOL

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm probably too far- but I have tiny jap/cochin crosses. They look like itty bitty booted japs. One is broody right now for the second time this summer. She only fits on 3 banty eggs. So cute.

[​IMG]

For some reason- the males are birchen (like mom) and bearded. The females are solid black and not bearded. This pair just started laying & crowing. Should have some babies soon too.

4. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two in TN but I am probably to far away for you?

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Oh oh I too have 2 and 8 roos free.
    But to far from Mo.

need more room.

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    check out
    Gypsychic she is in mo. and on
    another tread with FS Bantam.Hen.

7. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Thanks Sissy..but I dont have anything broody right now to send [​IMG] Where in SW MO are you Smooth? Joplin-Springfield area by chance? PS ... I've been speaking with LMEggs, she has smaller kids, check to see. Also in MO

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  8. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'm north of Springfield (MO) about 45 minutes. I had a bunch of offers from some local people from a craigslist ad but mostly for trio's or larger hens.

I don't need a rooster, just a single, small hen that can incubate a few eggs for me next spring. Ideally, she will be a small breed or even a mixed breed that is very broody. I have a little brahma bantam hen and a little cochin hen but they are just a team I don't want to split them up and I don't want them setting my Serama eggs in the regular chicken coop. They set eggs for me out there and raise the chicks for me. I can even buy day old chicks and give them to these girls and they will raise them. Besides, any excuse to get a new little hen right?

I've been wondering if there are some little game bantam hens that would make a good broody hen. This little hen will live in a pen and be pampered so I'd like one that is friendly and likes people and suited to living more confined than my free range hens. I know there are some that would hate being caged so I want one that will like the confinement and safety of being penned and protected and spoiled. I'm in no hurry, I figure the right one will come up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by