WTH is it??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GabrielaJ, Jul 2, 2011.

1. GabrielaJ

GabrielaJ New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    It pecks the other hens, it mounts the other hens, it's everyone's boss, it walks like a proud roo,... but it doesn't crow at all...! HELP!!

Thank you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GabrielaJ

GabrielaJ New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    BTW, it's supposed to be an Ameraucana or Araucana. The other 2 hens have almost lost their combs due to the pecking.

sigh...

3. GabrielaJ

GabrielaJ New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    This is my first time posting, and I see many people looked at my post but no one is answering...

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Perhaps they didn't answer because they just don't have a good answer for you [​IMG]

It looks like a rooster to me. I have no idea why it doesn't crow. For some people, that would be a bonus!

Edited to say [​IMG] Glad you joined us. Sometimes it takes a while to get answers, depending on the time you are on, etc. But I hope you find a lot of good reasons to stay [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. GabrielaJ

GabrielaJ New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    Thank you so much! I think it is *wonderful* having a roo that doesn't crow... but I can't put him with the females, he's just not nice! Hmmm... maybe I'll just keep him as my pet away from the others...

:)

6. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    It looks like a roo to me. I'm pretty sure I see saddle feathers. Give him time...he will crow. [​IMG]

He is not Aracuna. Not sure what he is (maybe EE mix but someone will be along to tell you or offer ideas) but he is pretty.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  7. Affu

Affu New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    Pakistan
    i am pretty much sure he is rooster he will crow by time.

Regards

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    That's a roo. If you look at the feathers right in front of his tail (saddle feathers), you can see that they are long, skinny, and pointed. That means roo. I don't know what breed he is but he isn't an Araucana. He may be an Easter Egger mix. He looks like he might have some Delaware in him.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    See those purdy saddle feathers? Definately a roo.

He could be an EE. Not all have muffs or beards. He's pretty! He's not an Araucana or Ameraucana for sure.

If you have a roo that doesn't crow I'm complately jealous. I have 9 roos that do and one of my ??? cockerels just started.

Is the pecking something he does during mating or just all the time? Maybe smear something on the combs that doesn't taste too good.

10. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    If they've almost lost their combs...[​IMG] that is NOT a good rooster! He sounds nasty. Mind you, roosters need up to 10 hens - he might just need more hens to spread the lurve around...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by