1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WTH is wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lazyhead, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Lazyhead

Lazyhead Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    She's a Buff Orpington. About 2 years old. She's one of two left from my original flock of 5. She had a prolapsed cloaca last year but we fixed her up and she was fine and has been a consistent layer with no problems until recently.

There's something wrong with her but I'm not sure what. She sits in the henhouse too much. I always take this as a bad sign. Her butt is dirty but not particularly poopy. It looks irritated but not prolapsed at all. She seems a bit skinny. I gave her a warm bath and massage and a night in the chicken hospital last week (cat carrier in the garage - clean dark space, water) and put a little preparation H on her bum because it seemed a tiny bit swollen and irritated. She passed a weird soft egg the next day and seemed fine until yesterday she started back up with the henhouse sitting again. She has not laid any eggs. I have been feeding her meals of cooked egg yolks, oatmeal, yogurt & greens which she eats but not all of it.

What gives? I'd like to help her but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thank you!

2. Lazyhead

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    Going out to giver another bath and have a look at her. . .

3. Lazyhead

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    OK now her bum is covered with green poo. [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Did you feel around her vent? If you don't feel an egg she could have a broken egg in her .

5. Lazyhead

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    Quote:I was worried about that before so I gently flushed her out last week. All kinds of stuff came out but no cracked shell or anything like that. Should I try that again?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. Lazyhead

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    Quote:Well it looks like the yogurt would help with that. I guess she does smell a bit funky. Her crest is a bit dry and floppy too. My daughter is holding her and she is having success giving her pedialyte water and bits of watermelon. I need to look into cent gleet a little more as the symptoms seem vague. . .

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Well it looks like the yogurt would help with that. I guess she does smell a bit funky. Her crest is a bit dry and floppy too. My daughter is holding her and she is having success giving her pedialyte water and bits of watermelon. I need to look into cent gleet a little more as the symptoms seem vague. . .

Birds can show some or all of the following symptoms:

Depression
    Loss of energy
    Rough feathers
    Diarrhea
    Distended sour crop
    Slow growth
    Weight loss
    Decreased hunger and increased thirst
    Soiled vent feathers
    White sores near the vent
    Loss of feathers near the vent
    Reddened or swollen vent tissue
    Gray powdery or black waxy substances on the vent
    Very bad smelling droppings
    Patches in the throat that look like yeast or wax
    Unexplained laying problems
    Swollen vent

8. Lazyhead

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    Well she certainly has:
    Lost weight
    Seems depressed
    Diarrhea
    Decreased hunger. . .doesn't seem extra thirsty however
    Soiled vent feathers
    White sores. . .maybe sores. Kind looks a bit powdery.
    Stinky
    Swollen vent

OK. So I guess we're going with vent gleet. I suppose it makes sense as it seems to be caused by weakened cloaca muscles and she was prolapsed last year.

9. Lazyhead

Apr 29, 2008
    Ypsitucky
    Well she's certainly a lot worse. No eating, no drinking, floppy comb, now seems to have a lump on her cheek that wasn't there a day or two ago. I've been trying to feed her egg yolks & oatmeal & yogurt but she will eat nothing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by