Wussy Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gootziecat, Dec 20, 2010.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Does anyone have chickens that don't mind the snow? If so, what breed are they? I have 5 chickens, 3 breeds, and there isn't a one of them will get their toes in the stuff, despite an undignified introduction.

Something else I've been wondering about. Besides Buckeyes and Cornish, are there any breeds that forage so well they will grab mice and eat them? Only calm, mellow temperamented breeds will do. I had a bantam that did this. He would take them away from the cats and eat them. It was a hoot and I admired him for it. Anyone else want to brag?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My old ladies JGs and GLWs hate the snow, but are great hunters. Small mammals, reptiles, and amphibians beware! It was a learned behavior, though. They taught the youngsters how to hunt because the youngsters were clueless until after they saw the old ladies hunting. The youngsters would just play with the small animals until they killed them, but would just leave them behind once the fun of the chase stopped. The old ladies would them swoop in and eat what was left. The youngsters rapidly realized that they were doing a bunch of work and not getting the delicious treat at the end. My younger group loves the snow and are trying to convince the old ladies to join them. The younger group is RIRs, BOs, GSLs and EEs.

Have you tried tossing some treats out into the snow? Scratch generally works to convince my old ladies that the snow is worth venturing out into.

3. gootziecat

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    CMV, I've not only tried scratch but chopped hard boiled eggs with calf manna, all which they love. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Interesting about your breeds. Are they hatchery or breeder bred chickens?

4. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    gootziecat, In the Am put them outside and lock them out for a hour or so. They will have to walk in the snow.
    They think you put quiksand out there! After one went broody on you. [​IMG]
    you can try older bread or any kind of fruit too.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    My silkies love the snow. They will stay out in it, no matter the temp. I have to shoo them back in the coop. [​IMG]

6. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have a forced molt going on caused by fear of snow, argh! It definitely gives a new meaning to freezer burnt chicken, sheesh! I have two australorps and an EE that ventured out, but the other ones, not even with my feet!

7. gootziecat

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    [​IMG]: [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:All hatchery birds. I have too many predators to spend a lot of money on breeder birds. But, I've gotten so good about keeping predators away that I may spring the extra cash for some breeding pairs next year. I'm thinking some Ameraucanas...blue eggs...Sweet!

9. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    The best ones of my flock for going out in the snow are the Wyandottes. The SLWs and GLWs don't seem to mind walking in the snow, as long as it's warm enough outside. Even the Red Stars don't seem to mind the snow, either. The EEs will walk through the snow, although I have seen them fly from place to place rather than walk in it.
    But, that being said, except for one SLW, they didn't want to go out on the snow, at first, until I offered them entrance to the garden, where there is greens and bare ground (under a tarp and blanket).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by