WV chickens in the news

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sharedspirit, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Sharedspirit

Sharedspirit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Doddridge County WV
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    You just have to wonder why every one says "they carry diseases that can harm children" GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:mad:

These same "city slickers" don't even realize that coons, possum, RATS, rabbits, squirrels, ferral cats, bats etc. etc. etc. etc. that share the same neighborhood and are more plentiful are far more a threat to their children then a few feral chickens.

Just makes me screaming mad!

3. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Thats not far from me,,,,

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    That Foley is a menace.
    :mad:

5. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    I hope those people never take a trip to Key West where it is common for chickens to roam freely on the streets; I guess that would drive them crazy. lol I remember eating in one open restaurant (at Key West) and a chicken walked right up to the table where we were eating so I gave it some food off my plate. I actually thought it was pretty cool. Those same people complaining about the chickens will be the first ones to run to the supermarket and buy a dozen eggs. I think there are many people that do not have a clue or any respect (for that matter) about where their food really comes from.
    [​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

$4000 to remove the chickens??? Our tax dollars at work here... [​IMG] A couple of bent coat hangers and a few town workers would go far here! [​IMG] A $12 bag of corn and a net? A few chicken killing dogs are free, for Heaven's sake! The one in the pic looks healthy and quite pretty...I'll take 'em!

Never ceases to amaze me what city folks will come up with! All I can picture is rabid chickens running around pecking the children.... [​IMG]
    Well, I've been through that town and noone will ever accuse them of having too many brains, that's for sure.

7. Sharedspirit

Sharedspirit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Doddridge County WV
    I'm hoping someone local will see the story and try to catch them. I'm sure they didn't just "show up out of the blue" Maybe they'd even come to a bucket. If any of my girls wandered off, that's all it would take to get them to come.

I'm really surprised at how many people are afraid of chickens.

I'm going to try to track down someone to see if they need a home if they are caught. I'd be willing to drive the 3 hours to go get them.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have a neighborhood to the south of us... 1/2 mile by 1/4 mile that has lots of 'feral' chickens.

There have been those who want to have them removed, but the vast majority of the people want to have them around. They even have signs along the street that says, "Slow Chicken Crossing" with a picture of a running hen with chicks. From 5AM to 7:30AM it's a constant round of crowing.

9. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    oh man, thats like 6 hours from me, if i had the gas we would go get them. it is to easy to grab a roo or hen, i round mine up by shaking a bowl of corn. i have a couple that just plain follow me no matter what.[​IMG]

10. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    What crappy reporting. That woman makes a lot of assertions about chickens with no apparent support for any of them, and the news just prints it right up.

They carry diseases. They can harm the children.

They’re dirty and disgusting.

[​IMG]

Goodness people are stupid. To pay $4000 to someone to "catch" the wild, ravenous chickens when all it would take is a pound or two of cracked corn...​

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by