WV - Excited to start this adventure.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ralphbm, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ralphbm

ralphbm New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Hey guys, I've been browsing around here for a few months looking for ideas and tips about raising chickens. I can't wait to get started.
    I live in Southern West Virgina and am married with 2 kids( a 2 yr old and a 1 week old).
    We have recently became fresh egg addicts and want to get our own chickens for eggs. I have lived on a small farm my whole life. Dad used to keep chickens but I was too small to remember having them.
    I'm a country boy and have tons of neighbors that also raise chickens. I know with the help from this site, we will have the best egg layers we can have.
    Also, we plan on having mostly Golden Comets since they seem to lay best from everyone we know. I wouldn't mind at least 2 colored egg layers. We plan on just getting 12 chickens to start. I hope to have about 6 daily layers to meet our hopes of egg production. If we end up with 12 layers that lay good and haven't died or been killed by another animal or something, then we will probably give a couple chickens away or give eggs away as cheap as possible. This isn't for extra money, which I know there isn't money in it, but it's for the joy of my sons having chickens and having high quality eggs that we know are healthy for our family and delicious.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining Backyard chickens - glad to have you in the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by