WWIII up in here. Let the Aframes begin

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BairleaFarm, Nov 14, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I got some new birds. Everyone is fine and dandy but all the bantams are fighting. All the large fowl look at them like they are stupid then look at me with a look of WTH. Time to separate these birds. I need to anyways for breeding. I ask in a thread months ago about future housing issues. Ive been thinking and have decided to do A frames. I started them today. I am what one would consider poor and I love to re use material. I went to lowes to get the 2x4s and found a sheet of ply wood for the sides.

[​IMG]

My brother helped me and we got the frame built. We got to thinking after we got it built that the piece of plywood would be way to heavy. Off to "the barn" this barn could fall down at any point so its a risk to go in it. My dad is a pack rat and saves everything. He told me a few months ago anything in the barn was free game for me to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after a quick dig I found some old bead board. The last picture is where we ended the day. One side sided with chicken wire at the bottom. The other door will have an access to feed/water and collect eggs. This current tractor will house 6 birds. 3 bantams in either side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    The top will be trimed flush with the ridge beam.

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just say no to chicken wire.

the chickens will have no where to get away from predators from reaching inside. Spend the money on hardware cloth.

4. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    The tractors will all have electric netting around them. I know chicken wire is good for nothing except keeping chickens in, unless they really want out.

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:very nice. [​IMG]

6. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    what a small world BairleaFarm, I grew up in Georgetown [​IMG]

7. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    cool little coop, i always read on here that people put the 2x4 that they use for the perch flat so the birds can sit on their feet.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I love that I will have this eventually in the yard; Check it out!!

[​IMG]

9. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    yes it is beach. Thats an awesome coop steve. Ive looked at them in my main coop and even though ive got the 2x4s upright their feet are still covered.

10. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:do you have more pictures of this? the inside? a building guide, maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by