Wwyd? First time incubating shipped eggs with damages air cells.

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
Today I got in 2 boxes of shipped eggs. l candled to check air cells, weighed, and they are now settling fat end up until sometime tomorrow when I set them. One of my boxes must have been handled rougher than the other because there isn’t one perfect air cell in that bunch. Some are realllly bad and others are just sorta bad.
My other group is perrrrfect. I couldn’t see in the 7 Marans eggs and 1 of the Olive eggs, but the other 7 are perfect air cells. I’m pleased. But now I don’t know how to handle them all. I’m thinking I’ll keep the 13 messed up air cell ones upright in a carton when I set them. And I’ll lay the other good looking 15 flat, but hand turn them. When I feel better about the aircells in the 13 then maybe I’ll lay them down and turn on the auto turner. Not sure...
When should I turn the damaged ones? Should I set them upright and then just not turn for a few days? Idk what to do. WWYD? Pic of the pretty eggs just because.
BF320ECE-2CCB-405E-9B97-FF5B9920E961.jpeg

Your plan sounds fine. 😊 I started a "bird" journal this year. I'm writing down not only when I buy chicks but how I'm incubating eggs too. I write how many I put in, what birds where the eggs came from, what temp and humidity incubating and hatching, which incubator I used so I know if I incubated upright or on their side. I journal a lot because I'm not so great remembering all the details anymore. I wrote an article on incubating shipped eggs if you're interested? https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatching-shipped-eggs.75470/

Sorry, I’m no help :/ wonder if there is even much you can do? I had one air cell that was way off, but I put it in the incubator anyways and it’s full of veins now. Put a star next to it on the sheet so I can see if that one has any issues or dies.

I have never used the kind of incubator that turns them on their side.

Back
Top Bottom