wyandotte beak question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jaimie44, May 22, 2010.

1. jaimie44

jaimie44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    I have two wyandottes, 3 1/2 weeks old that have beak issues. They're bottom beaks are very tiny but the tops seem fine. I just noticed this yesterday when one of them was acting a little weak. I have these two seperated out today from the other 16 chicks and I put a shallow bowl of feed in with them. They both ate a little. Im worried they are not eating enough or maybe being pushed out of the way OR that they were having trouble eating out of the regular feeders. Is there anything else I can do?

Edited to say...the beaks are in perfect alignment, no scissor beaks...

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible for you to post a picture for us to see? I do have Wyandottes and they do not have this malformation and couldn't find a picture of them at 3 1/2 weeks to see if they might have had shortened lower beaks at a young age.. Hope yours will grow out of it! [​IMG]

3. jaimie44

Mar 9, 2010
    Heres the pics. The other 5 wyandottes are perfect. Thanks for trying to help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. Never seen anything like that. The top photo - it almost looks like the bottom has been filed. I'll be [​IMG] and hoping someone can shed some light on this.

5. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    I would suggest you take a file and file the top beak back a bit. Often the birds with deformed beaks need a deep dish because they need to stick their whole faces in in order to pick up food. Also feeding a mash versus crumbles or pellets will help them eat and grow

Probably don't want to hatch chicks from these birds because it might be a genetic trait imo

6. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Hi. I had a chick from the hatchery with a beak like that. Until the upper beak grew out real far she was able to get food. Despite a deep feeder I am sorry to say that she passed away at 6 weeks. I also had and have chicks from the same hatchery with crossed beaks. The pullet also passed away. I am now watching my Sultan who has the same issue very carefully. I have been putting the food in a deep dog bowl for everyone in his little group. Seems to be growing ok and feathering out but his isn't so pronounced.
    I was just reading that this can be an issue with a high temperature spike in the incubator or it is genetics. Seeing how I got three different kinds of birds with beak problems, I am going on incubator issues.
    Try a deep dish-at least 3" deep and I have been adding a little water to the chick starter just to make it slightly moist for him. Good Luck.

7. jaimie44

Mar 9, 2010
    I know! The difference is incredible! but theres been no filing done. I guess I can try to file the top beaks a little. I hope this deformity doesnt hinder their little lives in any way-cuz they are still so cute!

8. jaimie44

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:interesting....I got these chicks from Cackle..along with some leghorns, brahams, and two turkeys. The only death Ive had was one of the baby turkeys. Please keep me informed of how your Sultan is doing as time goes on.

9. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for posting the pictures. Not only does the bottom beak look short, the top beak looks long. I've never filed a beak so don't know what is involved but they do cut beaks of chickens to prevent pecking. I would like to suggest you post this and the pictures on Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries. There are folks there that might be able to help. I feel sad for your dilemma. You don't want them to starve but you also don't want them have special needs throughout their life. I hope you can get some good advice. [​IMG]

10. jaimie44

Mar 9, 2010
    Quote:Done! Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by