Wyandotte breeders, what do you think about this roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by erinem, Jan 28, 2011.

1. erinem

erinem Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Gainesville, FL
    So, I have this crazy old uncle-by-marriage who breeds just about every type of chicken imaginable. A couple months ago, my brother stopped by his house on his way back up from South Florida and brought me a BLRW roo. I don't know much about Wyandottes, so I'm wondering if this is a good roo or not. Either way, I think his coloring's nice and he's getting along well with the girls, so he's welcome to stay. Just wondering what I should be looking for in a good Wyandotte.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

no clue= he's good looking tho-

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I don't breed them, but I'll put my (ignorant) two cents in.

To me, his lacing and color look good. His red is nice and not washed out.

I can't tell about his type with are more side profile in better light, but I do have a question - where is his tail?

4. erinem

erinem Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Gainesville, FL
    Haha... I don't know about the tail, I keep hoping more feathers will grow in. I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow. Thanks for the input!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay, way off topic, but what is that four legged critter in the background?

I'm no Wyandotte person, but I think the lacing looks correct and the comb is right, thass about all I know [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not a breeder, but I wouldn't breed him if I were you simply because of that tail/back problem going on there. . . He looks to have either a hunched back, broken tail? or a partial tail, with that of course also meaning he's missing some vertebrae. I honestly think he's partially tailed and missing a couple or at least one vertebrae.

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 Just noticed that tail [​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Very poor type accented by his tail problem, whatever it is. He's a soup chicken.

9. turbo

turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2007
    Eastview, Ky
    Maybe roach back?

10. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Color and comb right,

did something grab him and get a mouthful of tail feathers>

I'd check him out closely , with hands and find out what is what with the tail, if his tail feathers are yanked out he could be just fine, if he has a back problem then either stew him or give as a pet to someone. Thats the big questionmark with him , check him out and give a few mos to regrow feathers if it looks like thats the problem, or cull him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by