Wyandotte carcass?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kigon, Feb 6, 2017.

1. kigon

kigon New Egg

Feb 10, 2016
    Hi! Does anyone have a picture of a processed wyandotte carcass? (preferably older than 4 months)
    I'm having a hard time choosing between marans and wyandottes, but if the difference isn't that drastic I think I'd like to go with wyandottes... But I have yet to find a carcass picture of one!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Some good links above.

I don't have pics, but just tossing this out there....where would you be sourcing your birds? My hatchery Wyandottes were heftier than my Rocks, etc, and they matured fast. My breeder Marans, the cockerels seem to be taking forever to put on muscle. They're tall, but very lanky and not filled out yet, at about 7 months.

3. kigon

kigon New Egg

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks for the links! Looks great.

4. kigon

kigon New Egg

Feb 10, 2016
    I'd be souricng them from a local farm, planning to buy a few eggs and hopefully I'll get my flock and try out a few roosters at the same time =) I live pretty close to my neighbors (2 neighbors on the other side of the road, the house next to me is luckily enough abandoned) so the only concern would be having to put down the roosters as soon as they start crowing, which could be too early... I'd only be culling a maximum of 20 roosters per year with the tiny yard I got, but still.
    I might buy some Bresse hens and make mixes along with purebreed wyandottes to up how much meat I can get. They apparently put on meat much faster... I really love wyandottes though, favourite breed along with Isbar, so it'd be perfect if I could have Isbars for eggs and Wyandottes for meat & eggs ><

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I dont have pictures, but a few years ago we processed lots of roosters around 6 months old and the wyandottes had a lot more breast meat than the others. They were blrw i hatched from gabbard farms i think, but this year we'll try mcmurray and papa's poultry for blrw since i didnt see gabbard on ebay any more.i might try ideal poultry for gold laced also just to compare. They are close to us so i can pick the chicks up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by