Wyandotte chicks, genders anyone? (bunch of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by firedove, Mar 24, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I don't know if it's too early to tell but my straight run Wyandotte chicks (BLRs and SP) are 4 weeks old now and I just took pics of everyone's faces. Also, I wanted to know if BLR Wyandottes are hen feathered and if they are does that mean that even the cockerels will have rounded feathers? Same with silver penciled, if a cockerel has the hen feathering pattern will he have rounded feathers too?

Alright, here are comb pics:

BLR 1
    [​IMG]

BLR2
    [​IMG]

BLR3
    [​IMG]

BLR4
    [​IMG]

BLR5
    [​IMG]

BLR6
    [​IMG]

SP1
    [​IMG]

SP2
    [​IMG]

SP3
    [​IMG]

SP4
    [​IMG]

SP5
    [​IMG]

It's so hard to tell on these guys! Unlike my Silver Spangled Hamburg cockerel chick (same age, 4 weeks):

[​IMG]

So, guesses on the Wyandottes anyone?

2. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Ok, I'll step up and guess:

BLR- 1 and 5 are female
    2, 3 and 4 are males??

SP- 1, 3 and 4 are female
    2 and 5 are males

So someone who really knows please speak up and let us know. I really would like to see how close I am. Susan

3. DaggerD

DaggerD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Idaho
    I just came on today to figure out what my straight run Wyandotte chicks (BLRs, SL, GL) are that are also 4 weeks old.

It's hard to tell when looking at some of their combs. I'm wondering if looking at the waddle will easier to tell. With mine there is more of a difference in waddle than comb.

4. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    justhatchin, thanks for your guesses! I have absolutely no clue so for now I'm happy to go along [​IMG]

DaggerD, I hope someone can help us out who actually breeds Wyandottes and might be able to tell at this age.

For most of them I have better pics with their waddles, do you think I should post them?

Any idea on the hen feathering questions?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I raise BLRW and Blue wyandottes. I'd say the only one I'd put money on being a pullet with your BLRWs is #5. The other's are getting quite a bit of red as young as they are. I've found you're more likely to have a slow developing roo that will fool you than a fast developing pullet.

6. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thank you Katy! I'm OK with just 1 BLR pullet. I really want a BLR roo so this gives me more options from which to choose the right one!

Do you know the answer to the hen feathering question? Do BLR roos have hen feathering?

7. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    So looking carefully at my Wyandotte chicks combs I find that nearly all of them have pink combs including 14 of my 15 ordered pullets. Does this mean I have that many cockerels some how or could it just be that the lines used have more pink combs on the chicks than the average. If there really are nearly all cockerels in my pullet order do you think the hatchery will replace them? I paid for pullets in 3 varieties and if all but one turn out to be cockerels I'm going to be pretty ticked!

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    1,2,3,6.. boys....

9. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thanks nzpouter [​IMG] Do you have a rhyme and reason, or just guessing?

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    wattle and comb growth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by