Wyandotte Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CRob88, Mar 19, 2012.

1. CRob88

CRob88 New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Prospect, Maine
    Hello Everyone!
    This is my first post on backyard chickens and I am hoping for some assistance with sexing my new wyandotte baby chicks. We just got the chicks last wednesday and they seem to be growing very fast. There are two that seem bigger than the others but I think they may have jumped ship from the 2 week and 1 week brooder into the day old chick brooder at the farm. I have attached some pictures we have taken of them so far but I'm hoping they are all females...fingers crossed:) If anyone wants to share their opinion they are more than welcome as this is my first go at being a chicken farmer!!

Thanks in advance,
    Best,
    Christian

Its a lettuce frenzy!!
    [​IMG]

Mr. T solo shot.

[​IMG]

This is Clifford and Mr. T! Mr. T is on the right with the brownish mohawk I think s/he may have some golden laced wyandotte.
    [​IMG]

Lola and Turbo
    [​IMG]

Drinking before bed...the larger one should stand out:)
    [​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    Too young for me to tell. The larger ones sure are a lot larger. In a couple weeks it will be much easier to tell.
    Congrats on the chickies.

3. CRob88

CRob88 New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Prospect, Maine
    Thanks for replying! We noticed the big one when we got home but s/he fit in to well to bring it back:) Can't wait to watch these little guys grow in to beautiful birds.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Take a short piece of solid copper wire (about 3 inches long) bend a loop in one end and tie a 4 inch string on it. Hold the wire, by the string, over the base of the bird's tail. Wait for the wire to start swinging... If it swings in a circle, you have a pullet. If it swings back and forth in a line you have a cockerel.

Sounds crazy, but it works. Hold the wire over the inside of the wrist of every family member and you will see it in action.

This was shown to me by Andy Anderson who has raised chickens all of his life. We call it the :
    Andy's Handy Dandy Gender Detector

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good looking chicks. To early to tell but if you do use Chic-n-farmer way, do let us know if it works. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by