wyandotte comb question?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by justtoni44, Aug 19, 2010.

1. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Think I may have been smucked.
    I purchased what was suppose to be 2 SLW 3 1/2 month old chicks. I was told they were from show stock...........qnd a lot of other glowing things.
    They are 4 1/2 months now and the same size as my 6 week old BCM's.
    I have three SLW layer hens and wanted to purchase a well bred rooster.
    I am certain the hens are likely from hatchery stock, but they are sweet and vey pretty.
    My purpose is to hatch a few for myself.
    Among other problems. one has a rose comb, theother has a comb like a RIR...............
    Tried to find the standart to anwer the comb issue and got lost in the process.
    They should both have rose combs shouldn't they?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wyandottes should have Rose Combs. [​IMG]

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Yes, wyandottes should have rose combs. But its my understanding that they're slow growers and they're not completely filled out til they're second year - whereas BCM's grow really fast by comparison?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I believe the straight comb is a recessive gene in Wyandottes & can show up in any flock. I have hatchery Columbians and got 4 out of 18 with straight combs. As for size, they were quite large by 12-14 weeks and some are huge now at 19 weeks. Are you sure you did not get bantams?

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:This winter we adopted three BLRW pullets. Two have rose combs and one a single comb. From what I've been told, single comb is recessive and hasn't been bred out due to fertility issues (rose comb birds evidently have lower fertility). I don't think you can show single comb birds, but could be wrong.

I'm not saying that they are or aren't hatchery stock (our BLRW aren't hatchery and our SLW and GLW both are and there is an obvious difference), but maybe it takes non-hatchery stock longer to develop and mature? Our BLRW sure took a long time to start laying, I chalked it up to the state of them we got them and the severe stress/shock they were in, but maybe it's just because they weren't hatchery stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by