Wyandotte combs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Agilityscots, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I got Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens as a Christmas gift, and on page 3, there's an interesting chart with the different styles of combs listed. It says that Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but my GLW girl has a huge single comb! Apparently the chart says that some breeds have comb varieties within a breed, but Wyandottes aren't one of them.

Anyone with Wyandottes, I'd love to see pictures of your girls' combs! I'm just curious to hear if others have differences in combs...

Amy

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have two silver and two gold wyandottes and they all have the small combs...

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:What is a small comb? Do you mean the rose comb?

Amy

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yes, the rose comb. Here's a pic from a few weeks ago - you can see the SLW in the front.

[​IMG]

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Wyandotttes are supposed to have rose combs, but occasionally a single comb will appear. Birds with a single comb shouldn't be used for breeding so they don't pass on the undesirable trait.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Maybe she's not wyandotte... Can you post a pic? There are several breeds that have that type of pattern.

7. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Arlee: wow, that IS a small comb! Especially compared to my girl's.

CovenantCreek: no worries about breeding her. Her GLW brother went to a new home ages ago. [​IMG] Thanks for explaining how the trait shows up. My girl is apparently a rogue! I love it!

Ksacres: she's definitely a Wyandotte (and I think very pretty!). Here are a few pics.

This is not a great shot of Ophelia, but you can see her bad little recessive-gene comb clearly here... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another:

[​IMG]

And finally, a pretty little GLW girl!

[​IMG]

Amy

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Susan, what type of pullets are the tanish brown ones in your pics. I have 2 like that and have never known what they were. Thanks Laura

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  9. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:I'm not Susan, but I think that one in front looks like a Golden Campine (pretty girl!) and the one in back looks like a GLW.

Amy

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Thanks Amy, we got them last summer from a feed store as Americanas and we now know that their not that as they lay tan eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by