Wyandotte cross chicks - sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Godiva, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have some chicks that are wyandotte crosses. HOW do I tell the roos from the pullets? Do you still end up with a larger redder comb sooner?! All the other chicks with single combs are starting to show their sex pretty clearly. I am wondering if these are maybe pullets since their combs are pretty much nonexistent and still very pale. I don't have pics - just hoped someone could fill me in that has these comb type birds.

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

What are they crossed with? Here's a pic of (oops, different pic) 2 male BLRW cockerels:
    [​IMG]
    First one's in back of the pic and their sister is on the left...the other cockerel is to the right of the pic.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    How old are those birds in your pic? I have no idea what the hens were crossed with, they have mixed breed roos running with SLW, black australorp, buff orpington and some mixed breed hens so I have a real mixed bag. I only have two with the wyandotte comb - I am guessing now (my little book with the dates is in the workshop) but I think they are about11 weeks old and their combs and wattles are almost non existent... I am hoping they are pullets.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Godiva, the best way I have been able to be sure is to watch for the start of hackle and saddle feathers. The combs are not very good indicators on the Wys as a rule.

5. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    So, the wyandotte comb is dominant is it not? So, probably size, behaviour and the hackle and saddle feathers will be my indicators. At what age will I start to get crowing to confirm the sex that I am guessing - can't remember.... been a while since I had 'teens'

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were four months old in that pic...look for long feathers on the back near the tail and at least one long tail feather or wait for crowing? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by