Wyandotte crosses?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dragonjaze, Mar 24, 2011.

1. dragonjaze

dragonjaze Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Forgive me for asking this if it's already been hashed to death, but I did a search and was overwhelmed with posts and couldn't sort it all out.

What would the offspring of a mixed flock of gold-laced wyandottes and silver-laced wyandottes look like?

I'm sure I'd get a few true chicks of each, unless the roos really didn't like their own ladies [​IMG] Just wondering what the new generation would look like if the roos wandered "to the other side" occasionally:cool:

2. BCBrian

BCBrian Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    If the hen is silver laced, and the cock gold laced then the mating is called a "sex-linked" mating - and the colours and genders will reverse in the young. The hens will be gold laced (and true breeding) , and the roosters will be silver laced but carrying gold.It's supposed to be a yellowish colour with black lacing. Only cocks can "carry" another colour - because they have two genes for colour, hens are what they are - having only one colour gene - they can't carry the other colour.

I've asked if anyone can post a picture of a Silver rooster, carrying gold on another thread - but so far no one has come up with one.

If the cock is silver - and the hen is gold - then all cocks produced will be those yellowy golds - carrying the silver gene. The hens of such a mating will all be true breeding silvers.

Hope this helps.

3. dragonjaze

dragonjaze Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    oh, that is awesome info, thanks!!

at least I'd be able to tell which daddy did what [​IMG]

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by