Wyandotte Died =(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollyKMS, Dec 9, 2009.

1. HollyKMS

HollyKMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    Our ailing bantam Wyandotte finally gave up the fight overnight. She was only 6 mos old, had never even reached maturity. What a heart-wrenching thing to wake up to this morning- a pet that died for no known reason. It's so frustrating to not know what happened or why. What a terrible, sad waste. [​IMG] She just stopped eating when she started to decline, so I suspect the final culprit was starvation. Our ::four little ladies:: are now three (until the 3 chicks are large enough to be introduced). My daughter was still crying a little when I took her to school. [​IMG]

At least her suffering is over. Poor little thing. RIP, Wyandotte, you will be missed.

[​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] Was she showing any kind of symptoms?

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't all good little chickens go to heaven? [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry for her to have to lose a pet like this.

4. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    About 2 wks ago, she disappeared around roost time, and I couldn't find her. She reappeared the next morning, to my great relief, but looked a bit disheveled, had a few wonky feathers. I checked her carefully for breaks or bite marks and found nothing. I didn't know if something happened to her or she was just distressed-looking from being out for a night alone (low was around 40F). Ever since that night, she'd been declining.

I moved her to the warm garage run (with the 3 leghorn chicks) over the weekend because I could tell the cold was too much for her. She didn't even try to move when I picked her up. [​IMG] When I put her in the garage, she didn't even seem to notice the chicks at all. Then, it seemed that she just stopped eating altogether. I don't know if she stopped eating because she had an injury I didn't know about, or if she got bitten by a cat and infection set it, I just don't know and I hate not knowing.

It could be a coincidence that it all started with that night out, but I just don't think so.

She'd hardly seemed very alive for the past couple of days, just laying under the heat lamp not moving, all fluffed out. I knew it was coming, inside; it's still hard to actually have it happen, though... [​IMG]

I can't bring myself to dump the body in the garbage... It's wrapped but I can't yet. Seems all wrong, like if I tossed our cat in the garbage if she died... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] hun I'm so sorry. It sounds like she may have gotten an internal injury with whatever she scuffled with. You gave her all the love and confort you could until she passed. Can you maybe make a little grave for her in the garden?Thats where two of my little wyandottes are by the rose bush. [​IMG]

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I AM SO SORRY! I bet something spooked her and she flew straight into the wall and died ( this is what happened to my fav. hen moriene). Nealrly pain-free death i might add.

7. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry for your loss. I did the same thing Attack Chicken did, just my lil ones are in a pretty, sunny spot near a little grove of trees.

8. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    That's very sweet, how you gave them a nice burial, both of you!! We don't have a place were I could've buried her, unfortunately. After having her out all day, I finally had to say my goodbyes and wrapped her up gently in paper, then a bag, then a box, then sat her on top of the outside garbage bin. If she'd still been out when my daughter came home from school, ...well, that wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks for all the sympathy, guys! It's been sad but at least we have lots of pictures of her, to remember her by.

Isabella's already begging to get another one 'that looks just like her.' I told her not right now.

Chickens... they're actually very fragile, after all, aren't they?

[​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry, I hate losing my animal friends more than my human friends I think.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:They are! I'm so worried about my Nugget possibly not making it and he's such a big strong guy it seems he should pull through anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by