Wyandotte egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by claud, Jan 13, 2008.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    How dark is a wyandotte's egg? I have a flock of Marans and one wyandotte but I've only seen the dark Marans eggs so far. They are all about 8 months old. My Marans eggs are on the low end of the chart though. Maybe the wyandotte isn't laying?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine are usually light beige colored, not dark at all. Sometimes they have a few light speckles on one end.

3. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Mine are exactly as Speckledhen described, exactly. I have 4 Wyandottes and 4 Orpingtons. The Orpies eggs are much, much darker brown, and never any speckling whatsoever.

When I gather eggs, all through the day, I always know which hens eggs I have. They all seem to have different laying times. Anywhere from dawn to dusk. But I always know if its an Orpie or Andy (our slang for WyANDdottes) egg.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Wyandotte eggs are also a different shape, which I forgot to mention. They have a very distinct elongated pointy end, unlike all of my other breeds. All three of my Wyandotte girl lay an egg like that, although one of them lays an egg smaller than the other two.

5. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Hmmm. I wonder why she's not laying. Do they take longer to mature? When these girls got to laying age the days were getting shorter here - maybe that has something to do with it?

6. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    How old is your Wyandotte girl? I have 4 Wyandottes, 27 weeks old today. Two are laying, just started, and two are not laying yet.

HTH

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I have 2 SLW and they started laying at just shy of 26 wks. I'm not sure which egg they are laying though. I have a hen laying a light beige/cream colored egg and the rest are a nice mocha color, but not dark. I thought my SLW did the mocha ones.

8. claud

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:She's about 30 weeks or so. Maybe she's just not laying yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by