Wyandotte Eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by suburbanfarmer, Feb 6, 2008.

1. suburbanfarmer

suburbanfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2007
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    Does anyone have any pictures of typical wyandotte eggs?

2. pacanis

pacanis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    I don't have my camera handy, but I've got five hens; 2 SL Wyandottes and 3 Buff Orps. The Wyandottes have a much smoother egg and more pure in color, like Nestle's Quick. Sometimes they are more pointed on one end and sometimes I can't tell the small end. The BOs definitely have a rougher feeling egg and kind of streaky with white sometimes. Like someone tried to paint it brown with a brush.
    But that's just what I've noticed. These are my first chickens.

3. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Here are a few from my SLW! Sorry the picture isn't great, my DH has the good camera at work! I took it in the carton so you can at least see the contrast of a color you know for sure what it is! Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

4. suburbanfarmer

suburbanfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2007
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    That does help a lot. I really appreciate it. I have never kept Wyandottes and didn't really know what color eggs they laid.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Wow, I think it must really vary by the individual or particular line.... our SLW lays a medium brown egg that is always chubbier than a normal-shaped egg. That is, it's more round, less elongated. It's a totally regular brown-grocery-store-egg color and texture, though.

On the other hand, my Australorp lays the most beautiful, pale beige, shiny, elongated egg, and I know that most people's Australorps lay regular brown eggs. So go figure!!!

Stacey

6. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    My girls just started laying! Those were the very first eggs in that carton so I dunno if they will change a bit with time? I know when my ducks started laying for the first time the eggs were smaller than after a couple of months of them laying... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by