Wyandotte folks: what gender BLRW do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amysflock, Sep 23, 2009.

1. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    Hi all,

I bought three BLRW well-started straight run chicks on 8/18 from a local breeder and can't tell the gender on any of them. Can you help?

I thought the two larger, darker ones might be cockerels, but then I looked at other wyandotte photos on this forum and it appears the hens have rather pointed hackle feathers, so maybe I can't ID them that way?? The two darker ones are larger and taller than the gray one, and one darker one has bigger wattles than the other. Other than that... [​IMG]

Here are a few photos I took today. These little guys are hard to get to pose!

Thanks!

[​IMG]#1 - gray baby (#3 in background)

[​IMG]#2, darker one w/small wattles (#3 in background)

[​IMG]#3, darker one w/larger wattles (#2 in background)

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    From what I can see they look like pullets. But really could use better photes. Could you get somme of the tail ends? Then you can see if they have roo saddle feathers.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Did you get those from Nancy?

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Look ike pulets. I got 3 chicks last spring, 4 mos ago, and they all turned out roosters with BIG flagging tail feathers.

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Looks like three pullets to me as well.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

1. Maybe pullet, although stance makes me think roo, can't see if it's got saddle feathers developing.
    2. roo...he's getting saddle feathers
    3. Maybe a pullet

7. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    Yes, I did get them from Nancy! They are beautiful, smart little ones...way more independent and curious than the rest of my little flock. (They started scratching right away, and I think taught everyone else how!)

I hope they're all pullets so I can keep all three. I already have a 15-week old EEx roo that I plan to keep (plus 7 other Black Australorp x roos I'm trying to rehome).

Do any of these additional photos help?

[​IMG]#1 again

[​IMG]#2

[​IMG]#3

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't see any pointy saddle feathers. My blue Orp hen has the same downward back end. I think they're all hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by