Wyandotte hen with egg and vent problems. Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by K-12 Chickens, Oct 21, 2011.

1. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Earlier today one of my wyandotte hens had part of a soft-shelled egg still stuck part way in her vent. We gently pulled it out carefully, making sure not to cut anything. After that her vent went back to normal, but then she kept going into the nest box and standing straight up as if she was laying an egg. She has been pooping out white, sticky, watery poo. At one point she did poop out what sort of looked normal, but not normal enough because the watery part was slightly yellow in color. We've brought her inside in a large crate and she is still standing upright as if to lay. Sometimes she relaxes a bit but then goes back to straining. It looks as if all the egg shell is out, but I'm not sure. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this situation! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    UPDATE: Offered Jenny(the wyandotte hen)some yogurt, but she showed little interest. Then offered her some water and she drinked it in normal amounts. After that, she started eating. Can't feel anything abnormal around her vent. She's not really straining hard now, but does seem a little uncomfortable. Hopefully she'll improve. [​IMG]

3. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I hope she does improve for you. Ive not ever had this problem, but have read on this site that it helps to lube the vent with Vaseline and also to give warm soaks by placing the hen into a pan of warm water that covers her vent area. while she's in there, you could massage her vent area. I hope this helps and I hope you gets some responses from folks with experience int his area, best of luck.

4. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    If there was any egg remains inside of her, would the warm water treatment help? This morning she is just standing in her crate puffed up, same as yesterday, clucking to me when I sit by her crate. Jenny was offered some scrambled eggs, which she ate with no hesitation. I'm glad that's she's eating and drinking, but the puffed up stance hasn't really got better since yesterday.

5. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Jenny has now been outside and pecking around, but still puffs up and squats. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do right now. [​IMG]

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Sorry you're going through that [​IMG]

I just read this on another post, and I think it's the best advice I've heard on the subject:

" Try putting her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. You can put a little bit of olive oil in and around her vent making it easier to lay the stuck egg. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay the egg soon. Repeat as necessary."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by