Wyandotte just started laying, bloody stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fowl Wrangler, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Fowl Wrangler

Fowl Wrangler Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Either my Blue wyandotte or my SLW. Both started laying this week, both are approx. 6.5 months old. Don't know weight, but they're still growing, seem normal weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    My BW passed a runny pink stool yesterday while I had them loose in the yard. But we had given them beet greens earlier, and she appeared otherwise normal, so I assumed it was due to beets. Then she laid later in the day. My SLW started laying two days ago. Today, someone passed an incredibly foul smelling, super bloody stool. For the last week or so, someone has been passing foul smelling stool, but I'm not positive which of them it is. They both smelled like the stool when I inspected them today (given their fluffy butts it could be either walking in the other's stool and smelling like it).

Subsequently, the BW passed a very large and somewhat soft but other wise normal stool. Both of their vents looked about the same; open, soft, yellowish (like their skin). No visible injury, fatigue, lack of interest in food/water, or other odd behavior.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Just the last couple of days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

I haven't caught anyone else in the act, so I'm not sure who's experiencing the symptoms.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

The BW started laying yesterday, the egg was relatively large for her first egg. The SLW started laying two days ago, she's a bigger bird by a few ounces and both eggs were smaller than the BW's.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Local(ish) layer pellet, oyster shell & grit free choice, occasional black sunflower seeds, whatever they're scratching up in their dirt & straw floor coop, and a lot of greens a couple days ago when we pulled up all the beets and carrots in our garden & gave them scraps.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Soft, covered in blood (like surrounded by blood). I'm leaning towards thinking that the strain of laying a big egg caused a tear? but idk.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Nothing. Refrained from giving treats today.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat self, will take to vet if crucial, but ideally not.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Can't post photographs today.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Coop with dirt floor run covered in straw, straw in nest boxes dusted w/ DE, pine chips in sleeping area.

I should note that they have had Sulmet for cocci as chicks and have lived with us since a couple days old, so I'd be surprised if it's cocci, unless i picked it up at the feed store inadvertently.

2. mothernaturesdaughter

mothernaturesdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Williamsport
    When I was vet tech we would give Tylan to dogs or cats with this condition (smelly soft stool). Could still be coccidia, could probably treat for both without worries. I would bet things clear up on their own, but if bird is not being itself should treat asap.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A quick course of Sulmet/Corid couldn't hurt. I would try to use Corid since there is no egg withdrawal time. Bloody poops are nothing to mess around with. Cocci overload does a huge amount of GI damage, and can be fatal quickly. If you suspect it, treat it ASAP.

You would not be remiss to keep anticoccidial drugs on hand at all times anyways. It's one of the staples in my medical kit. When it hits, it hits hard, so you would be better off to be prepared beforehand.

Good luck.

4. Fowl Wrangler

Aug 8, 2011
    What kind of egg-withdrawal time am I looking at with Sulmet? I assume that means we can't eat their eggs for a certain period, or does it put them off laying? I'm just going to give it to them, since that's what I have and we can't really pick up anything else today.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The egg withdrawal time is 7 days after the last dose is given. Do not feed any laid eggs back to the birds or you will extend that withdrawal time.

Good luck.

6. Fowl Wrangler

Aug 8, 2011
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by