Wyandotte lacing pattern questions

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by dlamb82, Apr 22, 2019.

1. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    Hello! Is anyone able to post examples of good lacing, great lacing and poor lacing on wyandottes? I have glw and blrw chicks. The glw came from tractor supply so I probably won’t get any great lacing out of them based on what I’ve read but maybe I’ll get some good lacing, but my blrw came from a breeder so I’m hoping they’ll be great. Thank you!!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Here is an example of fantastic lacing on a SL Wyandotte bantam. This is the ideal.
    20181027_064937.jpg

3. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    Thank you! She’s beautiful! So can you explain to me why it’s “fantastic”? I’m just trying to understand so I know what to look for in my own birds as they develop and mature. :idunno I also have a question about points in the lacing, I read it should be rounded and not pointed....I see some rounded on your hen and some points. It’s all very confusing for newbies! At least for me! :barnie

Cyprus and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  4. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    My first 2 glw are 6 weeks old. They’re lacing seems very pointy to me...this pic is from yesterday

Attached Files:

5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    It's actually kinda funny... My SLW chick has no lacing yet... Just black wing feathers with a few white, un-uiniform, stripy things...

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    compare the lacing to that on this picture I found on the internet and you will hopefully see...

[​IMG]

7. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    It is fantastic because the lacing is really thick and solid. You are right, ideally all lacing should be round, but there is no such thing as the perfect bird.

8. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA

Ok, that makes sense! So she is an example of a hen that could be used for a breeding program? I’m pretty sure I’ll have to purchase some chicks or eggs from a breeder for my glw and as my original intent was just eggs for the family when we purchased our chicks it wasn’t a big deal but now my husband has gotten the chicken bug and we’re looking at trying to start breeding next year after we get everything established.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Cyprus like this.
  9. Amatsuhono

Amatsuhono Chirping

Oct 30, 2018
    San Benito, TX
    Also keep in mind that your birds still have their juvenile pattern. My SLW (also from TSC) were all mostly black when they were little, but after their first adult molt, some of their lacing was surprisingly decent. With hatchery quality birds it can be a crap shoot of genetics, but occasionally you'll get one decent enough to breed. Never hurts to get some nice breeder quality birds to add to your flock. One high quality roo can make a world of difference in the quality of your chicks.

10. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    Awesome! Thank you for the insight and I will definitely keep that in mind. :wee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: