Wyandotte lying down

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Georgieboy7, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Georgieboy7

Georgieboy7 New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    Hi from Melbourne Australia! My first posting in this group...

My 14 week old Wyandotte (Dorothy) lies down often, not sunbaking, often half asleep. She chooses mostly to be away from the other 6 who are the same age as her, different breeds. They are all growing bigger than her. She eats and drinks, but not as voraciously as the others. When she perches (separately) in the evening, she appears a little lopsided and sometimes her wing drapes down a bit. She is last to get up in the morning. The others mostly pay no attention to her but sometimes when she is lying down a couple of them peck her feathers a little roughly. She squawks a bit but really makes no attempt to move away. If I hear it, I go and shoo the bullies away. It's like she is being submissive to them but I fear they will draw blood one time, then for sure they'll get stuck into her. On face value she looks fine, no discharges, bright eyes, normal poops, nice clean feathers and can walk and run and jump. She has been vaccinated against cocci/avian flu (amongst other things) as have the rest of them.

She has not always been like this. I purchased Dorothy as an 8 week old, and it's only the last 7-10 days or so that I've noticed this change. She has not worsened over the week. They all eat a medicated pullet grower feed as well as a little scratch grain and tiny amount of fresh fruit and veg. She has free access to long green grass and has a very large interesting run with branches for climbing, straw bales to jump on, an insulated "cave" area and of course the nesting/roosting area which is for nights only.

I've had chickens for many years, but never seen anything like this.

I've checked previous discussions but couldn't find an answer. Thoughts please???

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hello and [​IMG] from a fellow Aussie. :D

One thing you said is "long grass" --- always good to eliminate the possibility that she's crop or gut bound from long grass or other fibrous materials. You'd need to check her physically for that, perhaps on the perch at night.

Leucosis is another possibility too but then again so are many diseases, even if the others look healthy. It could be an injury too, she could have come down from the perch wrong or another chook could have landed on her, it's not too uncommon. Hard to say but best to keep checking and trying to eliminate potentialities.

Best wishes with her.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 3 on posting in the 'Emergencies' section. Welcome to BYC.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope she will be okay -[​IMG]

7. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    [​IMG]! Good luck to you and your hen! Hope all will be ok. :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your girl.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] Good luck with your hen [​IMG]

Your hen sounds a little depressed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by