1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wyandotte Maturity

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rowenna22, Apr 9, 2012.

1. rowenna22

rowenna22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Tucson, AZ.
    So I just purchased a gorgeous Blue Laced Red Wyandotte pullet. I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it takes for them to reach egg-laying maturity? She's is about 2 and a half months old. Thanks so much! Hawkeye (my Wyandotte!) is on the right and Hotlips Houlihan is on the right.

[​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

They are slower then others, seemed to take forever with my first birds, GLW.

Good luck, have fun

3. rowenna22

rowenna22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Tucson, AZ.
    Well, how long? Month wise? I have other birds but I'm just wondering how old she will be before she starts laying her eggs. I'm not in this for the eggs, I'm in this for the fun of having chickens, but it would be nice to know what age the Wyandotte starts laying her eggs. Thanks!

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Um, was it 8ish months? I don't remember- there was a chart somewhere about when the first egg was layed and what breed.

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Usually 6-8 months on average.

6. emmyemcaty

emmyemcaty New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    I noticed my first egg on the 28th of January. Mine were hatched on the 24th of May. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen but I have read that they were slow to mature. It has been a slow start, only 2 eggs so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by