1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wyandotte may have squatted?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick15, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    My SLW's are 14 weeks and I think that one of mine squatted. It kinda stooped down and kinda spread her wings out a little bit- just holding them away from her body. Is that squatting or was she just trying to stop me picking her up. It sounds quite early, which is why it may be her just not wanting me to pick her up..... but im not sure as this is my first time with chickens, so i don't know what squatting looks like. little help?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It sure sounds like a description of squatting!

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Sounds like squatting to me too. My 17 week old Wyandotte squatted yesterday too. My RIR has been squatting over a week ago, but no eggs yet.[​IMG]

Good luck!

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Isn't it kinda early though? I mean, i hope she did squat, but i don't want to psych myself up and then she doesn't lay for another couple of weeks.

5. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

My SLW stopped laying (and squatting) for 40 days in Jan-Feb. But she started squatting again a week before she resumed laying, just as she had started squatting one week before she laid her first ever egg the previous fall.

6. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm, I've had chickens for years and never heard anyone talk about squatting. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by