Wyandotte mix?? mom is isa or australorp ??

panipuri

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
We have one little hen we can't quite figure out who she came from...

It would be so fun for us to know who her 'mom' might be - not sure it's possible. Thought I'd ask here...

The mix is either wyandotte / isa brown (a sex link of red and white rhode island)
or wyandotte and australorp (if australorp doesn't come through much - then perhaps she got mostly wyandotte?)

Here she is:

Here is her sister wyandotte/barred rock mix (actually a sex link - black star apparently):

And here's another sis which we think must be from the isa mom - she looks so much like the isa:

funny how they all got the peacomb from their wyandotte roo dad. Must be dominant - all 9 chicks have a peacomb.

so this is why we wonder ... could it be an australorp mom? Would wyandotte dominate over australorp? Or could she be an isa too?

zeely

Chirping
Oct 3, 2011
i would guess australorp, only because of the big difference between her and her red and white sister. she's very beautiful.

panipuri

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
To complicate the matter I have two Isa hens - when they were babies one was pure light yellow (which is supposed to designate male, ie sex link) and one was the proper brown with stripes. I wonder how that happened? Is that possible for a sex link to be the wrong color for the gender? And what it means genetically for any chicks they have - possibly both of these chicks are isa's - one from each.

Or... the wyandotte really outshines the australorp genetics and is indeed australorp for the mom?

I don't know... ??

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I think the australorp was the momma. Sex links are lighter bodied, and in most all second generation and further breedings I've seen the white really starts showing through. In fact, I think it's Fred's Hens (username) who bred Isa browns together for 2-3 generations and got pure white birds. You might look that thread up, really pretty birds.

Top Bottom