Wyandotte not laying at 28 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nimby Chickens, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Is this normal? I have some EE's (2 of them) hatched the same day that I don't expect to lay eggs for a little while, but shouldn't the wyandotte lay by now?

I'm going to put lights in the coop within the next few days for sure.

2. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:Ours isn't either and she is about the same age [​IMG]. Out of 9 chickens she is one of 3 left not laying.

I'd love to know when they start laying eggs, so if anyone has experience with this breed hopefully they can post some of their experience.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Seems to be a bad year for early egg laying. I've an Orpington and Orp cross that are barren at 29 weeks [​IMG]

4. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:Ours isn't either and she is about the same age [​IMG]. Out of 9 chickens she is one of 3 left not laying.

I'd love to know when they start laying eggs, so if anyone has experience with this breed hopefully they can post some of their experience.

SMILE [​IMG]

I have 3 out of 9 that ARE laying [​IMG]

5. Manningjw

SMILE [​IMG]

I have 3 out of 9 that ARE laying [​IMG]

We were in the same boat just a few weeks ago! [​IMG]

It's just amazing to us that our Red Star started at ~18 weeks old and has only missed 1 day thus far but some of our other "early maturing" breeds aren't laying at all yet.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Must be normal, my Wyandotte is the same age and has not laid a single egg! My neighbors wyandottes are both a month younger and they are laying.

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Sometimes if they come of age in the fall, they won't lay until spring because of less day light. Hope not for you!

8. chickies&bees

chickies&bees New Egg

Oct 28, 2011
    My wyandotte was the last to lay in my entire flock. Even my friend's Wyandottes were the last to lay in her flock. I mean significantly later than the other chickens. Eventually she started laying beautiful brown healthy eggs and was a great layer (even through winter). All hens are destined to lay, I am sure she will start laying [​IMG] Good Luck!

9. Manningjw

chickies&bees :

My wyandotte was the last to lay in my entire flock. Even my friend's Wyandottes were the last to lay in her flock. I mean significantly later than the other chickens. Eventually she started laying beautiful brown healthy eggs and was a great layer (even through winter). All hens are destined to lay, I am sure she will start laying [​IMG] Good Luck!

I was really surprised when my Blue Andalusian laid an egg before my Wyandotte. The wyandotte has appeared to be mature enough for a lot longer stretch of time than many of the other hens in the flock that are currently laying eggs.​

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Over the years I have had many breeds of chickens. Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, EEs, Leghorn, Wyandottes, Mixed breeds & Red Sex Linked. I never had one breed that didn't have some of the girls laying by 20 weeks & all laying by 22-24 except the RSL of course. They started laying at 18 weeks. All were hatched April-May except the RSL which were hatched in July.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by