Wyandotte or Not

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cannbone, Jan 2, 2014.

1. cannbone

cannbone New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Hello. This chick is 5 weeks approx. I was told it was a Golden laced wyandotte but after research im not so sure as the comb is quite dominant and colours are mixed. Also does this comb mean its a rooster or just the bread. I bought 2 lavander auracana chicks at the same time and they have no comb at this stage.
    [​IMG]
    Help would be appreciated on sexing and confirming a breed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    umm, every chicken has a comb. As far as it being a GLW, it isn't. It is black and white. Not black and gold. Plus Wyandottes are suppose to have rose combs, that one has a single comb. If I had to guess on gender I would say cockerel as it has a lot of comb for 5 weeks old. As far as breed, i am thinking just a mutt.

3. cannbone

cannbone New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Yes im aware every chicken has a comb. Sorry i was unfamiliar with the terminology regarding rose and single comb. Also im aware of the colours, the breeder told me it was golden laced but he also sells silver laced and blue laced. Im so annoyed as I travelled an hour to get a Wyandotte.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    heres a chart with comb types i that helps you at all.
    [​IMG]

5. cannbone

cannbone New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Wow thanks. I just have been told he mixed it up and its a ancona chicken. So now to confirm the sex.
    Any opinions?

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    but it is still young, so I woul wait a little bit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by