Wyandotte Pullets... Why Do They Look Like Boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Jul 20, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I mentioned this in another thread, that my hatchery Wyandottes are getting red combs and wattles way too early for pullets. Their color patterns look like pullets, but they are very red in the face for 8 and 9 weeks old. The SLW is a week older than the GLW. So, I do have girls, right?
    Here is Vada, who looks much redder in person. This is not a male color pattern, right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Victoria:
    [​IMG]

Virginia, the other SLW, looks the same color in the comb and wattles.

2. KierBri

KierBri Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    ne conneticut
    my 7 1/2 week slw and glw look similar

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    they look like girls to me, did you order girls???

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine are 7 1/2 weeks. I ordered girls. I hope they aren't boys.
    [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

These came from Ideal as sexed pullets. I have never ordered from a hatchery-the local feedstore gets sexed pullets all the time. I did have an Ideal sexing mistake once, so maybe I'm paranoid. Wyandottes never used to get this red this soon. Just seems odd.
    Here is my Lacy from my original flock at 3 months old-see? She's not red at all, just getting pink at that point. My other two were the same.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  6. KierBri

KierBri Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    ne conneticut
    yup, ordered all girls.

7. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Looks like a girl to me. Our GLW roos had more comb and wattles than her when they were only five weeks.

8. speckledhen

I did think their combs were pullet sized and so are their feather patterns (for Wyandottes). I just am floored by how red they are already.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

How's their lacing on their backs at the base of their necks? I've found the pullets have distinct lacing while the roos are much more streaky looking. Of the 7 sexed SLW "pullets" I brought home this spring 4 were roos.

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Mine also came from Ideal. I swear to you[!!] my other SLW could be the twin of that one, even the funny big blob of white on the wing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by