Wyandotte rarely lays.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    How often does it occur where a strong layer rarely lays eggs? My Wyandotte will be a year old this April.

I have seen a total of 4 eggs from her. It took her a really long time to lay that first egg and they are normal looking, it's just they are so few and far between. I just got my 4th one yesterday from her.

My neighbor across the street gets daily eggs from her Wyandottes and they are big, her chicks are 3 months younger then mine.

She squats normally when I pet her. She's healthy and looks great.

My D'uccle lays 4-5 eggs in a week. My dark brahma lays an egg for 8-12 days in a row before taking a break and those two are suppose to be the weaker layers.

Anyways, does this happen often? Thanks.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I don't know if yours stay in all day but mine roam. If your stay in you don't have my problem. Mine is I know she's laying, I just have trouble finding where. She won't for some reason lay in the coop. I've found 5 different spots but now she's gone and found another place that I haven't.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Mine are in for the winter. Way too many hawks for them to roam. Maybe she'll pick up this spring or just be a non laying hen/pet.

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    My GLW laid about 5 a week then molted and is just getting back in the swing of thing. My younger SLW lays about 4 a week now, hopefully will pick up in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by