Wyandotte Roo, Opinions?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bleenie, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Not really familiar with the breed standard so I am just wondering if he is a good or poor-looking Wyandotte? (he's older in this top picture)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First, how much does he weigh? That's a very important thing.

Second - Is that a Buff Laced? Or a Splash Laced Gold?

Third, okay, onto the critique - his back could be much shorter, he needs a nice upward sweep from the shoulder point on up to the tail, which should be set sort of high but still with good angle, which from the photos does look nice, he needs a much more "full" appearance (deeper, broader body) he appears to be either too small or maybe it's just the images or his color that throw me off. He's better looking than most hatchery laced I see but not show quality. He should be bigger, broader, deeper (a general compact body with a seemingly shorter neck and beefy body, esp. the back end) and he needs that back and rear to be more elevated/swept upward.

But telling by those spurs he's very young so who knows, maybe he'll fill out, but from many young Wyandotte cockerels I've seen he still does indeed lack a good back. His face in general is nice though.

Just in case I'm not getting him confused, is he LF or Bantam?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

He is LF. His daddy was a BLR & momma is one of my Buff Wyandottes. I will say they(my buff hens) are "shorter" and heavier-looking than he is.

His "mommas" are hatchery hens but the father i bought from a local breeder, she claimed he was from a prominent breeder of BLRW's but i can't be sure. The person i bought his daddy from has been out to see this guy a couple times and just adores him. His daddy had badly colored legs & a too-bumpy comb, thankfully Rodger didnt get those from him.

I was going to breed Rodger to my 3 Buff hens this year, do you think the chicks from them could have a better body type?

This was taken when everyone was going through their molt, so not the best pic.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I will have to find a scale to get a correct weight on him.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay well I'm gonna be honest with you, - Your local BLRW source quite possibly has poor quality birds. They can of course be telling the truth, but the truth also is that sadly many BLRW's out there are bred for their pretty color, not for type. And half the time by pretty color I mean just that, not even actual quality in the color.

As for introducing the Buff, problem there is that those are hatchery birds. Even if their type is nice, their weight is a guaranteed near or at disqualifying low.

So it's up to you, I'm just dishing out the info. [​IMG] If you really do want to work with a project like Buff Laced Wyandottes, just remember - type before color. But if you just want fun colored backyard layers, go right ahead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by