Wyandotte Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BLaBauve, Jun 14, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello! These are images of my 2 BLR Wyandottes. The one with the lighter comb is older than the other one by 2 weeks or so. I'm wondering why the other ones comb is getting so red. Is it possible that it's not going to be a hen? I'm very new to this so any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Beth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Crowing

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Looks like a pair, the cockerel has nice coloring so far.

3. HenPen

HenPen Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Looks like a roo

4. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would definitely say roo for the red-combed one!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  5. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the replies! On a side note, in this picture you can see a Gold Laced Wyandotte. She's the same age as the BLR Wyandotte's. She just grows reallllly slow. Her tail feathers also look very pathetic. Is this normal? She eats well and has good energy.

Thanks, again!

[​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    how old are they? They are very nice looking birds [​IMG]

7. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I'm not exactly sure, but they're probably 2 months. The Salmon Faverolle is about 1 month.

8. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I am trying to guess the sexes of my blue laced reds too and they are the same age except bantams. I originally thought i only had 2 but i think i am seeing a few more [​IMG]
    So i wanted to try comparing mine to yours. I am seeing alot of waddles growing out in the flock.

9. eponagirl

eponagirl Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Yes, I am going to say that is a roo too. He stands more upright along with his red comb and more developed wattles. I have 4 BLRW pullets and they all look like the other one. Thanks for posting because it make it more obvious to me what a pullet vs. cockerel looks like at that age!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: