Wyandotte STOPPED laying. Too hot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeadsCarolina, Jun 15, 2008.

1. HeadsCarolina

HeadsCarolina New Egg

Mar 21, 2008
    My 10 month old Silver Laced Wyandotte stopped laying eggs about 8 days ago. Could it be too hot for her to lay? She did lay one very small "J" shaped *thing* that looks like a human BM but was definately covered in her shell. She is free range most of the time and finds good shade, but all the hens are still hot. They have plenty of water at all times. I am in Ohio, and it has been upper 80's and humid for the same amount of time. My other hens are still laying just fine.
    Thanks,
    Meg

2. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she doing everything else she usually does, or does she seem 'hot and irritated'? I saw someone gave crushed ice to their birds, that might cool her off a bit [​IMG] That or some frozen veggies?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  3. HeadsCarolina

HeadsCarolina New Egg

Mar 21, 2008
    Yes, she is doing everything else just like she normally does. All my hens look hot even though they have shade and water. My other hens continue to lay every day as usual.

Just had a thought.... we recently added some chicks to our flock. Our Wyandotte is very irritated at the addition of these chicks (they are seperated but can still be seen by her). She struts around *yelling* at them to let them know she is boss.

Could the addition of these chicks, plus the heat, be stressing her out so much that she won't lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by