Wyandotte temperments(sp?)

playswithfowl

One Earth!
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
Oregon
I have a blue wyandottte bantam hen that is very friendly and not in the least bit flighty, and then I have a partridge wyandotte bantam pullet, she's not extremely flighty now like she was when I got her, but she's not nearly as friendly as my blue girl. I was just wondering if you think that she will start to become more and more friendlier the longer that I have her, or will she still be semi-flighty? Also, what have been everyone's experience with wyandottes standards and bantams. Overall I've been really happy with mine.
cool.png

Nona, my GLW (although she was mixed with something that was barred) was so sweet and cuddly as a chick. But now she is ummm..... welll..... evil. She does not tolerate being touched at all. She screams bloody murder. And the few times we have had to catch her.. well lets just say, we would have won the $100,000 on America's Funniest Home videos and we come away bleeding. Ugh.... It will be a long time before we get another Wyandotte.

DSCN1079.jpg

DSCN1091.jpg

DSCN1082.jpg

jeaucamom ,
I'm trying to figure out why you say she was mixed with "something barred", she looks alot like my glw.

As for my wyandotte, I don't think she is the friendliest bird I have, but at 19 weeks old, she doesnt seem teribly flighty or afraid either.
It is difficult to tell since she has a fear of the older chickens, but she does come to me when the others arn't near her.

I guess she's right there with my australorps for friendlyness, but not As friendly as my Dom's or my EE.

I had a SLW that died over the summer. She was friendly to humans but not so friendly to the rest of the flock, she was a food bully. She loved sitting next to me on my bench & she liked squatting for a good rub down. She was a funny girl.

I had partridge wyandotte bantams, till something got my last hen, they were extremely friendly. I never pick up or pet mine but they would come around you to see what you were going to feed them.

I have two sets of BLRs and I've noticed a difference in temperament between the two groups. My original birds are kind of aloof, not liking to be messed with too much after they got older, and the younger group I got from another breeder seems friendlier with some even allowing me to pick them up. I'm not sure if this is just due to age, or if because the group is more docile. I can say out of my adult BLR's, I've never had a truly mean bird. They're pretty sedate compared to some of my others.

Really, that's not barring. It's not actually spangling, either. It's not unusual for chicks to come out with some odd colored feathers before they get their adult set at about 4 mos.

Really!!!! That's so interesting, I never knew that!! So... they will go through a molt at 4 months?? And then get true adult plumage and then they will start laying at 6 mos?? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Back
Top Bottom