Wyandotte toenail injury - Need advise please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CorporateGranola, Aug 23, 2010.

1. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    My three week old wyandotte is pecking at her toe, and making it bleed. We have a red heat lamp, so the other birds ignore her (until she gets out of the red light). We're worried the other girls will try to make a meal out of her feet overnight. Would it be safe to use black fingernail polish to cover the toenail? If not, what would you recommend?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. CorporateGranola

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    UPDATE: We cradled her in our hands til she went to sleep. Elevated her feet, and the bleeding stopped. Cleaned all the blood off her feet. After about 15 minutes, we returned her to the brooder. None of the other girls seemed to remember that her toe was an interesting target for pecking, and she stopped pecking herself as well.

Should this occur again, is there anything I could/should do differently?

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Do you have any Blu-kote? It is an anti-pick aid and also has some stuff in there to help heal up cuts and stuff like that. There is also some stuff called Blood Stop or something like that and you can dip the toe in there and it will stop the bleeding.

Hope your baby gets better?

4. CorporateGranola

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    I don't have any Blu-kote, but I'll be sure to pick some up. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Peace,

-=CG=-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by