Wyandotte-type Roo Needs Home in New England area

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Buff Hooligans, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

He's a chicken that just lost his duck companion. They were all that's left of a flock that was divided up when their caretaker died two years ago. I've been bringing him treats and fresh water every morning on my way to work. He's very friendly, and eats treats out of my hand. He also got along very well with his duck friend.

I posted his photo in the breed section, and so far, people think he looks like a Silver Pencil Wyandotte, but not with perfect breed coloration.

His tail is normally 21" long. He looks a little scruffy here because he just went through a huge moult in early October.

I would deliver him within a three hour drive , or meet someone part-way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  2. Mysterybirds

Mysterybirds Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Where in MA is he located? I have ten pullets and no roo and am in the geographic center (as opposed to the Bostoncentric center) of the state.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mysterybirds, he lives in Eastham, MA, on the Cape. How long a drive are you from the Canal?

Also, he looks perfectly healthy, and I've been giving him healthy treats. But I know his owner hasn't ever taken him to a vet.

Regarding his breed, the feedback from the Wyandotte fans on this forum indicates that he might be a Wyandotte x Phoenix (a Japanese breed with super long tail) mix. His owner doesn't know what he is or how old he might be. (The owner's wife was the chicken keeper, and she passed away 2 years ago.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  4. Mysterybirds

May 6, 2007
    He looks lovely, whatever his lineage. Unfortunately I am a long drive from the Cape (I think it usually takes us close to three hours to get to the canal as we are both north and west from there). I'm stuck not being able to make long drives right now as I have a number of clients with babies coming soon (I'm a doula). I hope you are able to find him a good home with a closer family.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mysterybirds, I'd drive three hours to bring him to your area. Could you drive an hour to meet me part-way? It takes me 45 minutes to get off-Cape.

I just brought him oatmeal and grapes a half-hour ago. His new tail feathers are growing out more. He took the grapes from my hand.

6. Mysterybirds

May 6, 2007
    How quickly does he need to move to a new home? I am hoping to be freed up a little after this weekend and could then drive to somewhere around the intersection of 90 and 495 (am I thinking of the right one - it is 495, right?). Of course it depends on your schedule as well.

And your sense is that he is a good natured guy? I know that there is no way to be sure how things will go ones he gets in with the gals. I do have two younger children and just want to do my best to have chickens and children in a good situation.

I'm very excited about the thought of having a roo again!

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I'm in Greenfield, and i think you might be misjudging the drive time. I dont think it will take as long as you are thinking. I hope it works out for you, He is a very handsome Rooster.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mysterybirds, I haven't been on the computer since Friday afternoon, so I am just now seeing your questions. I'm sorry for the delay.

He does seem good-natured. When I put my hand near him, he doesn't panic or peck. When he had his duck friend, he used to hog the treats, but not act aggressively toward the duck.

When I drive up to his enclosure, he gets so excited that he paces back and forth by the door. He's part of the reason we decided to get chickens of our own.

He does have spurs, which can be removed, but I have never done that so wouldn't want to try it now.

He would have be quarantined before mixing him with your girls, as the advice on this forum says.

I just looked at a Google map and see that the intersection of 90 and 495 is near the area of Hopkinton or Southborough? I'm not real familiar with that area, but is that the right area you are thinking of meeting?

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    PS, if you see my website (BYC Personal Page), at the bottom, there are "before" pictures of our coop. The one with the backhoe in it shows Mr. Chicken's tall coop (on the far left) where he lives. We got our coop from his owner who was nice enough to get a backhoe to move the coop onto our truck.

10. Mysterybirds

May 6, 2007
    I'll send you a PM, hopefully later tonight. I just want to check in with my husband on good places to exchange chickens along that stretch of highway. He has a better memory for roads than I do.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by