Wyandotte type

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Nov 26, 2010.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    heres my one and only Splash Wyandotte does she have good type?[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Her back is way too long, making her tail and cusion thin out to an almost, but not entire, hatchery-type body. So, I'd consider it okay but not great. Also, her wings are pretty big.

3. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    i have hered that on a correct Wyandotte hen from her wing to her tail should make a straight line, is that correct? heres another pic.[​IMG]

4. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:ok, about her tail, its winter in MN here so none of the chickens look very nice but usually her tail is much more (fluffy).

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:by the way, she is a hatchery bird

6. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    heres another picture[​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Still, that long back shows that her tail and cushion are pretty small, even a bad winter should still show off a good type. As for the wing to tail thing, are you talking viewing from the top? Because yes, from the top view her tail is far too "pinched" like a production bird. It should fan out in a nice fluffy round shape, not cross to a point.

8. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:ok thanks, yeah she's had a hard working life, she's over 3 years old and has hatched many chicks. So she's lost and gained weight alot. Heres one of here sons and two of here six daughters, there father was a half NH 25% RIR, and 25% BR:[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    For 3 years old she looks good. [​IMG]

She's better than the bad quality Wyandottes out there, just not "perfect" good [​IMG] If you had a purebred male for her, I'd love to see what offspring she's passed. Who knows, maybe she looked a lot better when she was younger? If her cushion and tail were wider and more "fluffy" in appearance, I'd certainly consider her a very nice Wyandotte. Because putting those aside, she does have nice head/neck, legs, and so on.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of a splash that I used to have......somebody asked to use her picture on a Europeon website so I guess they liked her type. A wyandotte should have a very short back and have a heart shpe when you look a side view of them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by