wyandotte with hurt foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clljhns, Jan 9, 2010.

1. clljhns

clljhns New Egg

Dec 28, 2009
    I recently purchased some Wyandottes and Welsummers. The Welsummer hen has been "hen-pecking" the two Wyandotte hens. I think she has hurt one foot. The hen holds the foot up and I did see blood on her roost. What can I do about the foot? I do not see any cuts, marks, or abrasions on the foot and no evidence of bleeding from the foot. Also, Welsummer hen won't let the Wyandottes feed with her, get water with her, nor scratch in the same area of the yard as her. She is one mean hen! Do I need to get rid of her? I haven't been around chickens since I was very young, and am basically a green-horn. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. me and my marans

me and my marans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    [​IMG]
    I did have a wyandotte cock with a leg problem, I have had a lot a wyandottes in my time [​IMG] and leg problems are common in wyandottes,

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It sounds like your Welsummer is trying to establish herself as the head hen in the pecking order. If she is indeed injuring the Wyandottes, you may have to seperate the Welsummer from the flock for a bit.

4. clljhns

clljhns New Egg

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! One more question. The Welsummer rooster is very protective of his hen. When I seperate her, do I put him with her?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by