1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wyandotte x salm favorelle chick- have genetics questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hoppy, May 16, 2009.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I have a chick from my salm. favorelle hen and my splash blr wyandotte.
    the chick is splash colored like the cochin splash( being mostly white with single feathers here and there of black).
    is this possible, shouldn't it have lacing?shouldn't it have muffs or beards, feathered legs, 5 toes? it has none of these. I thought these were all dominant genes.

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is the chick? To get a splash chick at all from such a cross seems most puzzling; one would expect blue on parts which might otherwise have been black (if that makes any sense). Beard & muffs are variable in expression. I'd have also expected to see five toes & leg feathering. Are you certain the egg was from your faverolle hen?

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    the only other hen it could come from was a blr (blue laced)wyandotte and this chick really is not colored right to be her egg.
    the fav is the only other hen that lays this color egg and no stray roosters.

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    this chick is 2 weeks old
    wings are now looking pale blue or a dirty white (they are not truely dirty, it's just the color) on outer row of feathers, pure white on next row and row closest to body is yet to feather out.
    notice the stray dark feathers, these are black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If it's splash, clean legs. not bearded/muffed, no extra toes.. more likely you got your answer- not a Fav cross.

It is true those genes have a variable expression but for ALL those genes not show "at once" is rather too incredible to consider.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It sure is cute.

Funny, I was wondering what a BLRW/faverolle cross would look like. I have a BLRW roo and some new faverolle pullets.

But what causes the middle toe on some mixes come out half one color and half another, like this chick?

-Cindy in MA

7. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:but how can it be a blr? it's totally marked wrong.

8. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Is your faferolle hen pure?What color skin the baby has?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    apparently not, oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by