1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wyandotte yes or no?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by other543, Mar 22, 2012.

1. other543

other543 New Egg

Mar 22, 2012
    Are wyandottes good for egg production?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They are average but I wouldn't call that good. They also have, IME, nasty personalities~every single one I've had over the years have been unpleasant birds~and I don't even love and pet on my birds, so I don't require much docility, but these birds are nasty to other hens and to humans. They are a heavy bird and eat quite a bit but it doesn't pay off in the level of lay.

One good point of Wyandottes...they are excellent to train a pup on to keep him away from chickens. I used one for this purpose on a high prey dog/herd dog breed mix and he hasn't looked at a chicken sideways ever since. She pecked him pretty hard on the nose and went crazy in his face and that was all it took! [​IMG] Then I culled her from the flock....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by