Wyandotte

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenGirl18, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ChickenGirl18

ChickenGirl18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Hey everyone! I'm starting up a Wyandotte flock in the spring and wanted to get your opinion on them. I heard hey are good layers but, what are their personality? Also, do they have any cons? If you have wyandottes if you could share stories you have of them. Thank You!![​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised Wyandottes and they are very cold hardy, and good layers of large, brown eggs (typically about 3, sometimes 4, eggs per week per hen). They are generally friendly and docile birds, although a couple of times I had an aggressive one that I ended up removing from the flock (but this has been the exception rather than the rule). Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenGirl18

Nov 1, 2014
    Thank you!! Wyandottes seem like a great chicken! Can't wait to get them!![​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi there and welcome to BYC!

Are you going to be starting a hatchery stock flock or a breeder line flock? That will play into some of what you are asking about to one degree or another. For example, hatchery stock tends to be bred for production first and other things (ie conformity to breed standard, personality, etc.) fall farther down the prioriity list.
    That being said - we currently have six wyandottes in our flock - three SLW, three GLW - all of whom are hatchery stock. They are our most reliable layers (I would rate our flock as the GLW/SLW, BOs, Light Brahmas and then Easter Eggers as far as production). They are not, however, the friendliest birds in our flock. Our wyandottes are not mean or aggressive in the slightest when it comes to humans, they just are not particularly interested in having much to do with people. (the BO, on the other hand are total lap chickens). This is consistent in all six of the ones we have at the moment.
    As for flock dynamics, they definitely occupy the top spots in the pecking order - like with humans, when it comes to their interactions in the flock, they aren't mean or unnecessarily aggressive, but they are definitely assertive.
    All in all, I adore our girls - they do the job I got them to do (production) and their reliability in that makes up for their standoffish personalities.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenGirl18

Nov 1, 2014
    I'll have to see what I'm going to do in the with the chicks in the spring but, right now I'm planning on just selling them locally. Out of all of your chickens you own, what is your friendliest? Wow you know a lot about chickens[​IMG]. Anyways, I heard Easter eggers are definitely a favorite in the flock, do agree? Thank you!

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

7. ChickenGirl18

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Cute avatar!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Definitely the friendliest chickens in our flock are the Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. My children, and now my granddaughter, have made lap pets of them. The Black Australorps are also the best brown egg layers of the standard breeds. Our Black Sex Links will outlay our BAs by a little, but they are hybrids and don't breed true. Our Black Sex Links are also friendly, but my children, and now my granddaughter, have never been able to make the lap pets of them that they have made of our Australorps and Orpingtons. Our Easter Eggers are docile, good layers (about the same as our Orpingtons) and my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves them for their colored eggs, but they don't make lap pets either.

10. ChickenGirl18

Nov 1, 2014
    Are the buff orpingtons good layers? What do you think is the meanest chicken (so I can say away from buying them) Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by