Wyandottes and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gumpsgirl, May 24, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Are the Wyandotte chickens good egg layers? I was thinking about hatching some, but was told that they don't lay well. I just read on My Pet Chicken's site that they say they are dependable layers. No I am confused! Are they dependable or not? [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Mine lay pretty dependably - nice sized brown eggs.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have white wyandottes. All named 'Wanda'. They are good sized girls and lay big brown eggs - except for my broody [​IMG] and she is a hatchery chick!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Silver Laced Wyandottes were all three excellent layers. Sadly, that may have been their downfall, but anyway, they are almost as good as the RIRs for consistent laying, all three of them. They did lay different size eggs, though, with my single combed Lorelei laying the largest of the three girls.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My BLRW girls are good layers and they lay decent sized brown eggs. I get 4-5 eggs a week from each bird. They have both slowed down as of late. Potpie is molting and the weather is crazy, so it's been 3-4 a week from each.

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I will be sure to hatch some Silver Laced in honor of your sweet Lorelei, Cyn! [​IMG] I've already found someone who is selling the hatching eggs.

7. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    I have very dependable SLW girls, who kept laying 5-6 eggs each a week during the coldest months of January and February, when the temps here were at or below zero. Super! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, that's sweet, Stacey. Lorelei, Lacy and Violet are all wonderful girls. Violet has fought bumblefoot for about 3/4 of her life, but lately has been much better. Lacy was the first one I ever lost in my flock. They are the only girls who have these characteristic sweet, little-girl voices. You call Lorelei, and you'll hear "huh?". Or talk to Violet and she'll say " uh, huh" with a little lilt on the end. It's so endearing. I always called Lacy my "yes girl". None of my other breeds do that sound. Its so cute! The two chicks I have with my broody I bought at the feedstore are Wyandottes, not sure if they're SLWs or GLWs yet, but I'll have two more "Yes Girls" coming up in the ranks soon.

9. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm glad you will have 2 more coming up in the ranks, Cyn. I will for sure hatch some SLW's not only to honor Lorelei, but also Lacy and Violet. I figure that at least I can do this! If I get three girls, their names will be Lorelei, Lacy, and Violet! Hugs to you Cyn. [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In the "old days," before widespread hybrid breeding, there were five predominant breeds in America. I call them "The Big 5." They were,

Barred Plymouth Rocks
    Rhode Island Reds
    New Hampshire Reds
    Brahmas, and you guessed it...
    Wyandottes

Each had it's own traits to recommend it, but... well, there you are. Wyandottes were more known as meat birds, due to their hefty physique, buth they also have a long heritage as a good egg layer. Maybe not the best, but reliable.
    Besides, they are just plain cute!

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by