Wyandottes as Long-term Layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bleenie, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

After recently losing one of my girls to unknown causes and having a couple go broody on me, I was in need of some new laying hens. I found an ad on CL for some and after e-mailing she agreed to take $10/ea for a couple hens. They are around 2yrs old she said.

When I went to buy the new girls I saw some Blue Wyandottes in the bunch so, of course, I had to have them. I ended up with 2 adult Blues, 1 adult Black & one 4mo old(ish) Blue Wyandottes. The little girl looks like she has wry tail but she's pretty cute so i didn't care. I believe the older girls were laying, they're in good shape, maybe a little thin but they were starving when i got them home, i've never seen a bird shovel food so fast! I am sure they'll fatten up in no time. They were having a grand time dusting in the dirt afterward too, their old pen was pretty dirty with poo and crowded so i think they were happy about the space and "fresh" ground.

Anyway, onto my question. I figured even if they were 2yrs old, I will still get at least 4 eggs a week from each, or about that, fingers are crossed for more though!! How do Wyandottes do as far as laying longevity though? my other 'dottes are just a year old and they were giving an egg a day before they went broody on me... all 3 of them [​IMG] .

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:mine is about 3 I get alternating 3-4 a week or about every other day.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Great to know! thank you!

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I have a 5 yr old hen that has layed 4 days a week every week since she started laying at 8 months old. She is showing no sign of slowing down. Wyandottes are great for long term layers just not the high production you get from the birds breed for that but you don't have to replace them annually. I think they are a great choice.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Are your guys Wyandottes very broody at all? all 3 of my Buffs have gone broody on me(one just finished) and I was wondering if this is a common thing for them. They are around 11 months old.

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:It happens especially in very warm weather after they have laid for a while. I have not had one go broody any other time of year seems to be with the first big push of summer.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

GOOD. [​IMG] I am fine with them wanting to hatch out some "new girls" once a year but I would rather have them laying than being broody all the time.

8. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    My batams are all broody [​IMG] ! Dottes are all good though! My LF seem to keep laying! I think you'll get like 3.5 years outta them So you got another year and a half and then they'll drop down to like an egg a week.

Cheerss!

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I should have some pretty babies from them by then. I have a Splash BLRW roo that takes care of all my girls. He's given TONS of Blue babies this year so far, even with my Buff girls but I am hoping to see a little more color in the chicks(eggs) my 2 Buffs are sitting on now.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by