1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wyandottes, australorps?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobeena, Apr 11, 2009.

1. bobeena

bobeena Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2007
    We have four adult hens for eggs and today got 6 chicks from the hardware store to -- we think -- raise to eat. We just got what they had. Never done this before, and it's just a backyard operation. Question:Any reason NOT to butcher australorps, barred rocks, wyandottes (other than they are lovely birds)?
    Guy who sold them to me said they need to grow to 10 weeks or maybe a little more since they are not strictly meat breeds. Opinions?

2. bobeena

bobeena Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2007
    SORRY...i meant to put this in the meat category. I am not sure how to move the post. I apologize.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    There's no reason not to butcher them for meat. They are all three dual purpose breeds (bred for both meat and egg production). You won't get as much meat as from a solely meat bird but they should certainly give you enough to make it worth your while.

4. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    They lay eggs pretty well too. And they are good landscapers.. one "green" way to get rid of those bugs in your yard with out having to worry about pesticides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by