wyandottes for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mxpres, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    anyone ever processed two year old hens?after chilling and resting 48 hours in salt and ice will they make tasty dumplings?pressure cooking is how I plan to prepair them,,I have processed other birds but none of this breed or age,

2. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    I just ate a two year old hen...I let her rest in the fridge for three days and cooked her at 275 in a roasting bag...she was delicious,legs and thighs were a little tough but her breast was perfect although small.

3. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    i keep posting on these ancient threads

4. debir1966

debir1966 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Central Idaho
    I am glad you did post! I am planning on eating our older hens (one of these days) and am interested in the best way to prepare and cook them. I was figuring on just stewing the stuffin' outa' them! LOL (or maybe pressure cooking).

I was also thinking about marinating them to see if that would tender 'em up too.

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT

Crockpot is the way to go with an older bird. Put them in there whole with veggies and a little broth and they will be wonderful once done. I cook mine all day in the crock pot and then put them in containers in the freezer or fridge for things like enchiladas, sandwiches, chicken and dumplings etc. They are perfect for it.

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I have a smart crock pot. LOL. Slow cooker, I put the bird in whole, ad what ever liquid I wish to use for cooking in, onion soup, broth, what ever, and set it for four hours. I turn the bird once an hour. I start them on the breast, then to one side, then to the other.. In the last hour, I will add taters and carrots, celery... what ever veggies... And in the last 30, will add noodles. Take the bird out, strip it down, throw the carcass to the birds, and the meat back in the pot and have a nice chicken noodle soup. OR, don't add veggies, shred the meat off the bones, and make tacos, enchiladas, chicken salad...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by